“Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves; vanity, to what we would have others think of us.” - Jane Austen


Thursday, August 19, 2010

Oklahoma Rush!

Rush in three words: crazy hectic mess!

I have to admit... I loved it. The first day, we visited eleven houses in 108° heat. That part was not so great, but the visiting of the houses was unlike anything I could have ever imagined! I was expecting a little bit of singing, probably a few chants, but the clapping head-bobbing madness is something I did not expect! That was something I thought you only saw in movies like Legally Blonde and Sorority Row. That could not be further from the truth. And it might be silly but, I adored it. The whole sha-bang!

The eleven houses were as follows:

1. Alpha Chi Omega - Alpha Chi ΑXΩ
2. Alpha Gamma Delta - AGD AΓΔ
3. Alpha Omicron Pi - AOΠ
4. Alpha Phi -
5. Chi Omega - Chi-O
6. Delta Delta Delta - Tri Delt ΔΔΔ
7. Delta Gamma - DeeGee ΔΓ
8. Gamma Phi Beta - Gamma Phi ΓΦB
9. Kappa Alpha Theta - Theta KAΘ
10. Kappa Kappa Gamma - Kappa KKΓ
11. Pi Beta Phi - Pi Phi ΠBΦ

Every night of the process, we had to go into a computer lab and cut out three of the houses we did not care to continue on with the next day. Although, just because you cut a house does not necessarily mean that you will not be attending it the next day. If one of the houses you pref cut you, one of the houses that you cut the previous night will be added to your schedule. Every morning, about 30 minutes before we had to be ready for our first party, our Rho Gammas (adorable sorority girls -- we weren't allowed to know what sorority they were in until the end of the rush process -- who guide us around and help us throughout the week) delivered our schedule for the upcoming day to our door. That was the most stressful part by far -- waiting to see if every house we wanted asked us back. I was, luckily, very fortunate throughout the process. So, we went from day one (eleven houses), to day two (eight houses), to day three (five houses), to pref night (two houses). Even though from "five-party day" to pref night we still had to cut the usual three houses, that cut seemed much larger and much more drastic than any of the other cuts. Each day got more and more stressful, and on Bid Day (the day we officially find out which house we are to join), they made us wait until two o'clock in the afternoon for our results! By about one, every girl on my hall that was rushing was impatiently sitting out in the hallway waiting for our Rho G's.

Anyway, I'm afraid that you are just going to have to wait for my next post to find out which house I pledged! Let me assure you, it is the most amazing house on campus, and I am absolutely in love with it and SO proud to be a sister! It won't be too long before the post is up, so don't fret. And, I will include pictures. How exciting!


Day Two - Eight Party Day
My roommate Whitney & I.

Day Three - Five Party Day

Day Four - Pref Night
Obviously, we were supposed to dress up a little bit more for this night. I wore four inch heels! Definitely not the norm for a girl who is already 6'2"!

Until next time!
Boomer Sooner!

1 comment: